Blackened Cod with Lemon Yogurt Tartar
Grilled cod with a blacked seasoning rub and a yogurt tartar cream sauce over a bed of greens with a fresh vinaigrette.
This entrée salad with blackened cod is a flavor explosion. The smoky and savory blackened seasoning rub adds depth to the tender and flaky wild-caught cod, which pairs perfectly with the crisp mixed greens, sliced mini cucumbers, and red onions, all tossed in a tangy dressing. But what really takes this dish to the next level is the homemade yogurt tartar cream sauce, made with fresh dill pickles, shallots, and lemon juice, which adds a refreshing and creamy finish to every bite. Perfect for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner or a special occasion.
Cod and Salad
- 2 cod filets, wild caught preferred
- Spring mix greens of choice
- Sliced mini cucumbers
- Sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon champagne vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
Blackened Seasoning Rub
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ tablespoon oregano
Yogurt Tartar Cream Sauce
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ cup fresh chopped dill pickles
- 1 diced shallot
- 1 fresh juiced lemon
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Bring cod filets to room temperature and dry with paper towels.
- Mix together seasoning blend in a small bowl.
- Lightly coat the cod filets with olive oil and season with rub.
- Grill or bake at 425 degrees about 5 minutes then flip. Cook another 5 minutes or until internal temp reaches 130 degrees.
- Let the cod rest 5 minutes after cooking.
- Prepare 4 cups of mixed greens of choice.
- Slice cucumbers and red onion.
- Measure and mix the dressing ingredients and toss with the salad.
- Refrigerate while cooking the cod.
- Stir together 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons real mayonnaise.
- Chop 1/2 cup of dill pickles and dice 1 shallot
- Mix pickles and shallot with yogurt and mayo.
- Add one fresh juiced lemon and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Stir well and refrigerate while making the cod and salad.
- Arrange the tossed salad on a plate.
- Place the cod filet on top of the salad greens.
- Spoon the cream sauce over the cod filet and dollop some on the greens.
Prepare yogurt tartar cream sauce in a medium mixing bowl.
Toss together the greens and salad dressing.
Grill or bake the cod at 425 degrees until internal temp reaches 130 degrees.
Place the cod on top of the salad greens mix on a plate.