Thai Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
Creamy sweet potato and carrot soup with a kick featuring hot curry paste, Sriracha sauce, ginger, garlic, and coconut milk, topped with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
This soup recipe is a spicy and creamy blend of sweet potatoes, carrots, and coconut milk with a kick of curry, Sriracha sauce, and fresh ginger and garlic. It’s a savory and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold day or when you need a hearty and healthy meal. The soup is pureed for a smooth and velvety texture and is garnished with lime wedges and fresh cilantro for a refreshing finish.
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons hot red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Lime wedges and fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Prepare Vegetables:
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes.
- Peel and slice carrots.
- Dice yellow onion.
- Prepare Spice Mixture:
- In a small bowl, combine hot red curry paste, Sriracha sauce, grated ginger, and grated garlic. Set aside.
- Cook Onion:
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add diced onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until it begins to turn translucent.
- Add Spice Mixture:
- Stir the prepared spice mixture into the onions, cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add Vegetables:
- Add diced sweet potatoes and sliced carrots to the skillet.
- Season with Kosher salt and black pepper, stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Add Broth and Simmer:
- Pour in vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let it simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
- Blend Soup:
- After removing the skillet from heat, use an immersion blender to purée the vegetables until smooth.
- Finalize Soup:
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Return the skillet to low heat, allowing the soup to simmer for a few additional minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the soup warm, garnished with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.
Prepare the curry paste, Sriracha sauce, ginger, and garlic together in a bowl.
Peel and dice 4 cups of sweet potatoes. Peel and dice 2 cups of carrots. Dice 1 cup of yellow onion. Prepare 3 cups of vegetable broth and coconut milk.
Heat the vegetable oil over med-high in a skillet or Dutch oven and add the onion. Cook about 3-4 minutes until turning translucent.
Add the curry, Sriracha, garlic, ginger to the onion and stir in over medium heat about 3-4 more minutes.
Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and season with the kosher salt and pepper. Stir together.
Add the vegetable broth. Heat to boiling then reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender.
Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables.
Stir in the coconut milk and return to low heat to simmer and stir a few minutes.