Cinnamon Glazed Apple Fritters
Deep fried apple fritters with cinnamon and nutmeg using diced Honeycrisp apples with a sugar glaze.
These delectable apple fritters are a delicious treat that combine tender, diced Honeycrisp apples with a perfectly spiced batter made from all-purpose flour, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, buttermilk, and applesauce, fried until golden brown in peanut or vegetable oil, and drizzled with a sweet vanilla glaze made from powdered sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla extract.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 quart of peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Prepare Fritter Batter:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, light brown sugar, white sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate, larger mixing bowl, whisk together beaten eggs, buttermilk, and applesauce until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, whisking continuously until well combined.
- Gently fold in diced apples to incorporate into the batter.
- Prepare Glaze:
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla extract until smooth. Set aside.
- Fry Fritters:
- Heat approximately 3 inches of peanut or vegetable oil in a deep pot to 375°F (190°C).
- Using a 1/4 or 1/3 cup (depending on desired fritter size), carefully scoop and drop batter into the hot oil.
- Fry each fritter for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Glaze & Cool:
- After draining for a minute, transfer the fritters to a wire rack.
- Drizzle glaze over the tops and bottoms of each fritter while still warm.
- Allow fritters to rest and cool slightly before serving.
- Be cautious when working with hot oil to prevent burns.
- Adjust the amount of spices in the batter to suit your taste preferences.
Prepare the flour, brown and white sugars, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
Whisk together the beaten eggs, buttermilk, and applesauce in a larger mixing bowl.
Peel, core, and dice the apples in a separate bowl. Also stir together the powdered sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla extract for the glaze.
Whisk together the dry and wet mixes.
Fold in the diced apples.
Heat about 3 inches of frying oil in a deep pot to 375 degrees.
Use either a 1/4 cup or 1/3 cup depending on the desired size of your fritters to scoop batter into the oil. Fry about 2 minutes on each side until browned.