Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Thick and hearty soup with ground beef, bacon, russet potatoes, vegetables, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, heavy cream, and shredded cheese.
This hearty soup recipe is a meat lover’s dream, with a base of ground beef and bacon adding rich flavor and texture to the dish. It’s packed with vegetables, including celery, carrots, potatoes, and onions, and is given a deliciously creamy finish with the addition of heavy cream and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. The broth is made with Better than Bouillon, which adds depth and complexity to the overall flavor. The soup is seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper, making it a warming and satisfying meal perfect for a chilly day.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 8 slices bacon
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth (prepared with Better than Bouillon or similar)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Prepare Ingredients:
- Dice celery, chop carrots, cube potatoes, and slice onions.
- Shred cheddar cheese if not pre-shredded.
- Cook Meat Mixture:
- In a Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook bacon and ground beef together.
- Break up the meat, stirring occasionally until evenly browned.
- Cover the pot as the meat cooks.
- Add Vegetables:
- To the meat mixture, add diced celery, chopped carrots, sliced onions, and cubed potatoes.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare Broth:
- While vegetables are cooking, prepare 4 cups of beef broth using Better than Bouillon (follow package instructions).
- Season & Combine:
- Sprinkle flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper over the meat and vegetable mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour in prepared beef broth and crushed tomatoes, stirring well.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add Dairy:
- Stir in heavy cream and shredded cheddar cheese until cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Final Simmer:
- Continue to simmer on low for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning to taste, if necessary.
- Once the cheese is melted and the soup is heated through, ladle into bowls and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Soup can be garnished with additional cheese, fresh herbs, or croutons if desired.
Heat a Dutch oven or stock pot to med-high and add the bacon and ground beef. Cover and cook, breaking up the meat and stirring occasionally.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes. Cover and cook about 20 minutes over medium heat.
Meanwhile, prepare the beef broth using Better than Bouillon.
Add the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir together.
Add the beef broth and stir.
Add the crushed tomatoes and stir.
Simmer and stir about 10 minutes.
Stir in the heavy cream.
Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese.