Homestyle Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
Diced chicken breast with carrots, celery, onion, garlic and herbs with brown rice and chicken broth.
This chicken brown rice soup is a hearty and comforting dish that combines the nutty flavor of brown rice with tender chicken, aromatic vegetables, and a savory broth. The chicken is cooked with diced carrots, celery, and onions, along with a blend of flavorful herbs and spices, which create a rich and flavorful base for the soup. The brown rice adds a satisfying chewiness to the soup, while also providing a healthy dose of fiber and nutrients. The result is a nourishing and delicious soup that is perfect for any time of the year, and is sure to satisfy with its comforting and familiar taste.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- Cook Brown Rice:
- Measure and rinse 1 cup of brown rice. In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a light boil. Add the rice, cover, and simmer on low heat for 40 minutes or until the rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Prepare Ingredients:
- While the rice is cooking, prepare your ingredients: dice the chicken breasts, carrots, and celery. Quarter, then slice the yellow onion. Mince the garlic.
- Sauté Vegetables:
- In a medium-sized nonstick skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil. Sauté carrots, celery, onion, and garlic, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Cook Chicken & Season:
- Add the diced chicken to the skillet with the vegetables. Season the mixture with salt, black pepper, oregano, thyme, and parsley. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Combine Rice, Chicken, and Broth:
- Once the brown rice is ready, combine it with the chicken broth in a large pot over medium heat. Allow it to heat through.
- Add the cooked chicken and vegetable mixture to the pot with the broth and rice, stirring to combine.
- Once everything is heated through, adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve the hearty chicken and brown rice soup warm.
- You can use leftover cooked rice and add it in step 5 if you have it on hand, making this recipe even quicker to prepare.
- Feel free to add or substitute other favorite vegetables or herbs to suit your taste.
- Serve with crusty bread or a simple green salad for a complete, nourishing meal.
Begin with measuring 1 cup brown rice in 2 cups water and heat to a light boil. Cover and simmer on low for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the chicken broth, diced chicken breast, diced carrots, diced celery, quartered onion slices, and minced garlic.
Heat a medium sized nonstick skillet with 2 tablespoons cooking oil and add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic. Sautee, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
Add the chicken and seasoning blend and stir in. Cook about 10 minutes until cooked through.
Once the rice is cooked, stir the broth into the rice.
Next stir the chicken and vegetables in the broth and rice. Simmer and stir over med-low heat about 10 minutes.