Sweet and Sour Sauce
Sweet and sour sauce for chicken or pork made with brown sugar, corn starch, pineapple juice, white vinegar, soy sauce, and salt.
This recipe is a simple and delicious way to create a homemade sweet and sour sauce, perfect for adding a tangy and flavorful touch to a variety of dishes. The sauce is made by whisking together light brown sugar and cornstarch, ensuring a smooth and lump-free base. Pineapple juice is gradually added, infusing the sauce with a fruity sweetness. White distilled vinegar and soy sauce are stirred in, contributing a sharp tang and umami depth, while a touch of salt balances the flavors. The sauce is then brought to a boil over medium heat, with constant stirring to ensure even cooking and thickening. After boiling for a minute, it reaches the ideal consistency – thick and rich. Once removed from the heat, the sauce can be used immediately to enhance dishes with its sweet and sour character or stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for later use. This versatile sauce is a must-have for those who love the classic taste of sweet and sour in their cooking.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the light brown sugar and cornstarch until well combined.
- Gradually add the pineapple juice, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Stir in the white distilled vinegar, soy sauce, and salt, mixing until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Once boiling, continue to stir and cook for an additional 1 minute, ensuring the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Stir together the sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan.