Asian Beef with Snap Peas and Wide Egg Noodles
Stir fried beef strips and snow peas in a garlic ginger soy sauce served over wide egg noodles for a flavorful and satisfying meal.
This recipe for Asian beef with snap peas and wide egg noodles is a flavorful and satisfying dish that combines tender beef strips, crisp snap peas, and soft egg noodles. The beef is seasoned with Szechuan pepper and kosher salt, then stir-fried with minced garlic and ginger until browned. The snap peas are added and cooked until tender, then a delicious sauce made of soy sauce, rice wine, brown sugar, and cornstarch is added to thicken and coat the beef and snap peas. The dish is served over a bed of wide egg noodles and garnished with sliced red onion and sesame seeds, adding extra texture and flavor. The result is a balanced and savory dish with a touch of sweetness and nuttiness from the sesame seeds that will delight your taste buds.
- 1 pound beef eye of round steaks, thinly sliced against the grain
- 8 ounces snap peas, washed
- 2 cups wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger root, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin rice wine
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Szechuan pepper, freshly cracked
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Prepare the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, mirin rice wine, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Set aside.
Season the Beef:
- In a large bowl, toss the beef strips with kosher salt and freshly cracked Szechuan pepper.
Cook the Noodles:
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the wide egg noodles as per the package instructions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and ginger, and sauté for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add the seasoned beef strips to the skillet and stir-fry for approximately 2 minutes, or until browned.
- Incorporate the snap peas, continuing to stir-fry for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously. Reduce the heat and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Plate the cooked egg noodles and ladle the beef and snap peas mixture over them. Garnish with sliced green onions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
In a small bowl, stir together 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice wine, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch and set aside.
Prepare the noodles. steak, ginger, and garlic. Here I am cheating using garlic and ginger paste in a tube, very convenient!
Slice the beef steaks into thin strips, cutting across the grain.
Season the beef strips in a large bowl with coarse kosher salt and fresh cracked Szechuan pepper.
Boil the wide egg noodles about 8 minute while cooking the stir fry.
Prepare the snap peas, which I like for their size and volume by preference, or you could use snow peas or another vegetable choice.
Heat a large skillet or wok to med-high and add the garlic and ginger.
Stir until fragrant about 30 seconds.
Add the beef to the skillet over high heat and stir.
Stir about 2 minutes until browned.
Add the snap peas and stir about 3 more minutes.
Stir in the sauce mixture and heat to boiling stirring constantly. Then simmer a few minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
The noodles and stir fry should finish about the same time. Drain the noodles.