Beef Barley Vegetable Stew
Savory and hearty cubed beef and barley vegetable medley stew for a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for a cold day.
This beef barley vegetable stew is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for a cold day. The tender chunks of beef chuck roast are simmered in a flavorful broth along with the colorful vegetables and chewy pearled barley. The combination of seasonings, including oregano and Italian seasoning, adds a delicious depth of flavor to the dish. The result is a savory and satisfying stew that is sure to warm you up and leave you feeling full and content. Serve with a warm and crusty bread for a complete and delicious meal.
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 4 peeled and chopped carrots
- 4 chopped stalks of celery
- 4 diced Yukon gold potatoes, skin on
- 1 sliced yellow onion
- 4 cloves chopped garlic cloves
- 1 cup dry pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing beef
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- (2) 15 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, or fresh diced
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning blend
- Prepare and chop the vegetable mixture of carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, bell peppers, and garlic in a large bowl and set aside.
- Prepare 6 cups of beef broth by boiling 6 cups of water and stirring in 6 teaspoons of Better than Bouillon beef base to make a broth.
- Trim excess fat and cube the chuck roast into bite size pieces.
- Mix together the seasoning of salt, pepper, oregano, and Italian seasoning to stir in the beef to sauté.
- Prepare the diced tomatoes, pearled barley, and cooking wine for ready use.
- Heat a large Dutch oven to med-high with 2 tablespoons olive oil and add the cubed beef. Sprinkle the prepared seasoning blend over the beef and stir to coat thoroughly. Continue to cook and stir about 10 minutes until the beef is browned.
- Add the red cooking wine and stir to simmer down a few more minutes.
- Remove the beef with a slotted spoon to a separate bowl to set aside.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the pot over med-high heat and stir about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and stir in.
- Add the beef broth and stir in.
- Add the barley and stir in.
- Add the beef back and stir in.
- Simmer covered about 2 hours until the barley is fully cooked and the beef is tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Ladle into a shallow round serving dish to cool.
- Serve with a fresh bread.
Gather and prepare the beef roast and vegetables for chopping.
Chop all the vegetables into bite sized pieces.
Prepare the chopped vegetables with the cubed beef and seasoning, diced tomatoes, beef broth, barley, and red wine.
Heat oil in the Dutch oven and add the beef and seasoning blend.
Stir and cook about 10 minutes. Then add the red wine and simmer down a more minutes.
Remove the beef in a separate dish to set aside.
Add the vegetable mix and heat on med-high and stir about 10 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes to stir in.
Add the barley to stir in.
Return the beef to stir in.
Stir completely together to simmer.
Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring every half hour.
After about 2 hours the stew will thicken and is ready to remove from heat.
Stir together and let rest.
Fresh baked bread on the side is always welcome!