Curried Chicken Salad
Diced sautéed chicken breast with curry paste over a bed of greens and Greek yogurt dressing bursting with bold and complex flavors.
This curried chicken salad is bursting with bold and complex flavors that blend together in a satisfying and hearty dish. The tender and slightly spicy chicken pairs perfectly with the crunchy and nutty almonds, while the fresh celery adds a refreshing crunch. The tangy and creamy curried yogurt dressing ties everything together and provides a delicious contrast to the heat of the curry paste. The bed of greens offers a light and fresh backdrop to the bold flavors of the salad, making it a perfect dish for a light and healthy lunch or dinner.
For the Chicken Salad:
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons tikka masala curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- Spinach and butter lettuce (or greens of your choice)
For the Curried Yogurt Dressing:
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- If your chicken is not already chilled, it’s recommended to partially freeze or thoroughly chill the chicken breasts before dicing.
Chicken and Almonds:
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the diced chicken and tikka masala curry paste. Stir until the chicken is well coated with the paste.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cover, add celery and almonds, and continue cooking until the chicken is fully cooked and slightly golden.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a mixing bowl, combine Greek yogurt, honey, lemon juice, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until the mixture is smooth and uniform.
- Lay a generous bed of greens (spinach and butter lettuce or your preferred greens) on your serving plate.
- Top with the warm curried chicken mixture. Drizzle or dollop the curried yogurt dressing on top.
- Serve immediately, possibly with a side of naan bread or pita for a complete meal.
Tips: For a richer flavor, allow the chicken mixture to cool and refrigerate for an hour before serving on the greens. This allows the flavors to meld together.
Prepare all the ingredients. If you don’t happen to have fresh lemons on hand, the squeeze bottle works in a pinch as you see here!
Dice the chicken breasts. This works best if the chicken is partially frozen or very chilled.
Dice 2 stalks of celery.
Measure 1/2 cup of sliced almonds.
Heat skillet to med-high and add diced chicken. Stir in the curry paste.
Cover and cook about 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir until chicken is cooked through.
Add the celery and almonds and stir.
Reduce heat to low to simmer a few minutes and reduce liquid.
Mix together the yogurt, honey, lemon juice, curry powder, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly.