Apple-Slaw Bacon-Sausage Dogs
Hot dogs wrapped in sage pork sausage and bacon topped with apple slaw.
These delicious hot dogs are a flavor-packed twist on a classic favorite, made with juicy all-beef hot dogs wrapped in savory sage pork sausage and thick-cut bacon. The hot dogs are grilled or baked to perfection, resulting in crispy bacon and flavorful sausage that perfectly complements the juicy hot dogs. The hot dogs are served in soft hot dog buns and topped with a crunchy and flavorful slaw made from shredded red cabbage, shredded apple, brown sugar, mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, and salt.
- 4 all-beef jumbo hot dogs (e.g., Nathan’s brand)
- 1/2 pound sage pork sausage (e.g., Jimmy Dean’s brand)
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon (e.g., Hormel Black Label Original Thick Cut)
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 red apple (e.g., Pink Lady variety)
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare Apple Slaw:
- Peel and shred the apple using a large-holed grater, working around the core.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded apple and cabbage.
- Add brown sugar, mayonnaise, honey, apple cider vinegar, and salt to the bowl. Mix thoroughly until the slaw is well-coated, then set aside to allow flavors to meld.
- Prepare Hot Dogs:
- Divide the sage pork sausage into four equal portions.
- Wrap each hot dog evenly with a portion of sausage.
- Next, wrap each sausage-covered hot dog with a slice of thick-cut bacon.
- Cooking Process:
- Grill or bake the wrapped hot dogs for 15-20 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the sausage is fully cooked.
- Assemble & Serve:
- Place each cooked bacon-sausage dog into a hot dog bun.
- Generously top with the prepared apple slaw.
- Serve immediately while hot.
- These Apple-Slaw Covered Bacon-Sausage Dogs are a tasty treat on their own, but you could also serve them with a side of baked beans, chips, or a light salad for a complete meal.
- Keep an eye on the bacon while cooking; adjust heat as needed to ensure it crisps up without burning.
Peel the apple and shred with a large cut shredder flipping the 4 sides to work toward the core.
Shred the red cabbage and add the brown sugar, mayo, honey, apple cider vinegar, and salt. Stir well.
Measure 1/2 pound sage pork sausage into four equal parts.
Wrap the hot dogs in the sausage.
Wrap the hot dogs with 1 slice of bacon each.
Grill or bake 15-20 minutes until bacon is crisp.