Sweet Heat Scallops with Cilantro Lime Rice
Pan-seared scallops with a jalapeno vinaigrette dressing over cilantro lime white rice sure to please your taste buds.
This recipe for Sweet Heat Scallops with Cilantro Lime Rice is a delicious combination of flavors that meld together perfectly. The scallops are seared to perfection, with just the right amount of spice from the cayenne pepper. The cilantro lime rice provides a fresh and zesty contrast to the sweet and spicy flavors of the scallops, while the jalapeno vinaigrette adds a nice kick of heat. The orange slices give a juicy burst of sweetness to every bite, creating a perfect balance of flavors. Altogether, this dish is a well-rounded and satisfying meal that’s sure to please your taste buds.
Scallops and Jalapeno Vinaigrette
- 12 large fresh sea scallops, rinsed and pat dry
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded with membranes removed
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- High smoke point cooking oil of choice
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 finely diced shallot
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 zested and juiced lime
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
Jalapeno Vinaigrette Sauce
- Slice the jalapeno in half and scoop the membrane and seeds.
- Add the jalapeno with rice wine vinegar and olive oil to a blender to puree until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- Stir together the diced shallot, minced garlic, chopped cilantro, zested and juiced lime, with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning in a glass mixing bowl. Set aside to mix in rice once cooked.
- Measure 1 cup rice and 2 cups water in a medium sized pan with a dash of salt.
- Heat to a light boil and stir. Cover and reduce heat to low simmer. Set timer for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, stir in the set aside blend and keep lid on to stay warm.
- Rinse the scallops in cold water to wash away possible grit or sand. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Toss the scallops with fine sea salt and a light coating of cayenne pepper.
- Heat a skillet to medium high with a coating of high smoke point oil and I like to add a tablespoon of butter.
- Once heated add the scallops and sear over med-high heat about 3 minutes. Then flip for another 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook!
- Plate the mixed rice as a base.
- Add the scallops on top of the rice.
- Pour over the jalapeno sauce.
- Add the orange slices throughout.
Prepare the rice ingredients.
Chop the ingredients and add to a mixing bowl.
Stir together and set aside while the rice is cooking.
Add the jalapeno, Dijon mustard, olive oil, and rice vinegar to a blender.
Puree about 1-2 minutes until smooth.
Add salt and pepper and stir together.
Pour the sauce into a small dish and set aside.
Peel and slice 2 oranges.
Remove rice from heat after 15 minutes.
Add the fresh herbs and seasoning.
Stir together and cover to keep warm while cooking the scallops.
Toss the scallops to season with fine sea salt and a light coating of cayenne pepper.
Add the scallops to hot skilled and sear about 3 minutes on one side, leaving alone.
Flip and sear the other side another 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
Plate the rice as a base and add the scallops on top.