Bacon Broccoli Mashed Potatoes
Rich and creamy mashed red potatoes with crispy diced bacon, steamed broccoli, and fresh chives.
This recipe for bacon broccoli mashed potatoes is a hearty and flavorful side dish that combines the creaminess of mashed potatoes with the smoky and salty taste of bacon, and the added nutritional value of broccoli. The red potatoes provide a slightly sweet and earthy flavor while the bacon brings a crispy texture and a rich savory taste. The broccoli adds a refreshing and slightly bitter note, while the green onion adds a fresh and onion-y flavor. The combination of all the ingredients makes for a comforting and delicious side dish that will be sure to please any palate.
- 1 1/4 pounds red potatoes, halved
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon “Better Than Bouillon” chicken broth base
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp.
- Transfer to a paper towel to cool, then dice into small pieces.
- In a large pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- Add the halved red potatoes and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until they are fork-tender.
Buttery Broth Mixture:
- While potatoes are boiling, in a separate saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the cream cheese, chicken broth base (bouillon paste), and milk. Stir continuously until fully combined and smooth.
- Place chopped broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Microwave on high for about 45 seconds or until slightly tender. Drain any excess water.
Mashing and Combining:
- Drain the boiled potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Stir in the buttery broth mixture until well combined.
- Fold in the diced bacon, steamed broccoli, and sliced green onions, ensuring even distribution.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy while warm.
Cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp. Let cool and then dice.
Cut the potatoes into halves and boil in salted water about 15 minutes or until fork tender.
In another saucepan, melt the butter, cream cheese, bouillon paste, and milk.
Cut broccoli into small pieces with 2 tablespoons water and microwave 45 seconds to steam.
Drain the potatoes and return to pan to steam and mash.
Stir the melted butter mixture into the potatoes.